Sunday, November 08, 2009

Cookies Aren't the Only Things That Start With C

So it has been a bit of a time since I have posted any recipes so here you get 2 more of our family favorites (with stories).

First story and recipe:

The Cookies!!!! - Described by some as "The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies"
This is a recipe I have made somewhere around 1000 times (I am not entirely sure that is even an exaggeration). The recipe comes from the first cookbook I ever owned (I now own over 150) - The Betty Crocker Cookbook. I first started making this cookies in 1992 when I shared an apartment with my friend Dan. They received raves and I have used them as my staple cookie recipe since. There is a bit of an art to them and one of the measurements is haphazardly guessed but they are great.

Heat oven to 375 degrees

Ingredient List:
2 sticks butter softened (I really only keep them out for about 30 minutes at most and often forget to soften them at all - I like cold fat)
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
2.25 cup all purpose flour (I use the measuring cup straight so in baking terms I end up with a touch more flour than the recipe really calls for but it works)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
~2 or so cups of chocolate chips (this is where it is art I guess. I have NEVER measured out the chips for the recipe, the recipe itself actually only calls for 1 cup. I actually use a lot, I mean a lot a lot!, basically the dough is at a point where it still binds but has a boat load of chips in it - confused yet?)

Steps:
- cream butter and sugars in mixer until smooth
- add egg and mix until incorporated
- sift remaining dry ingredients and add a bit (1/3) at a time until fully incorporated
- add chocolate chips and mix
- I then use a scoop about 1.25 tbspish and scoop all the cookies out onto sheets
- I then hand roll each of the cookies into a perfectish ball and place them on the sheets to cook
- bake until done (between 8 and 10 minutes but will depend on oven)
- remove from oven and cool
- Enjoy!

Recipe #2 and Story #2:
When the wife and I first started shacking up she came with this recipe. Originally the recipe called for meat and Kahlua. Keeping a kosher household and not having a bottle of Kahlua on hand I made a couple of adjustments. This is a recipe that I use and make often (freezes great). Definitely something that I make for parties (ALL parties).

Ingredients:
2 onions - diced
1 green or red or yellow pepper - also diced
2 tbsp oil
1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes - drained
1 can corn - drained
1 can black beans - drained
1 can kidney beans - drained
2tbsp tomato paste
3 tbsp chili powder (cut amount in third for kid friendly)
1 tsp cumin (cut amount in third for kid friendly)
1 tsp cayenne pepper (cut amount in third for kid friendly)
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp salt

- Sweat down onions and pepper.
- add rest of ingredients and bring to boil
- simmer for 30 minutes or so - works great in slow cooker
- enjoy!

No comments: