Friday, June 12, 2009

No food only tech... Drucker's new toy.



In my never ending search for newer and nerdier technology and the desire to have a nice small point and shoot for our upcoming trip to Hawai'i I started compact camera shopping.

Those that know me, know that I like new, bright and shiny things. I got a Flip MinoHD a while ago and have been pretty happy with the quality of the video it takes. I have been less than trilled with the lack of a good zoom, and the lack of image stabilization (although the new iMovie with the software based stabilization has helped). But again in general it has been a good camera for me to use for all of the family videos I have had to take
since I purchased it.





So where does this leave the hero in this story (aka me)? Oh yeah, searching for a good point and shoot camera to take to Hawai'i. In my research I found a great little Sony camera, and when I say little I mean TINY (smaller than a deck of cards). The one I wanted was discontinued and I noted that the new version now has 720p video capture capabilities (same as the Flip). This camera ALSO has image stabilization, a better zoom, better optics and a stereo mic. Wow I said. So I did some Druck'enomics and found that I could sell my existing flip and one other piece of tech I was no longer using (thanks eBay) and bout this:

It is the Sony DSC-T900 (sounds like a Terminator villain). The camera is light, has video, picture quality and response are decent (for a point and shoot, not as good as my primary SLR), and because memory is so darn cheap now it has 16GB of memory (which is plenty for taking on vacation and taking a gazillion photos and still having room for quite a bit of video too).

I will report back on how it works for me in Hawai'i but I am really stoked based on what I have experienced thus far. Yay me.

No comments: