Thursday, July 07, 2011

This Week in Food Trucks

So I have really committed to trying a new truck (or 2, or 4) every week just to expand my horizons and taste as many of the amazing food trucks there are in our area. Today friends and I originally decided to go to my favorite truck The Rib Whip. When we arrived they didn't have the brisket sandwich on the menu and that is what one of my coworkers really wanted to try. Instead of trying their other yumminess we decided to venture over to the UN Plaza where there is a truck meet up every Tuesday and Thursday. Today at the Off the Grid UN Plaza were An the Go (Vietnamese noodles that I need to try as they look good), El Tonayense (the same food truck that I hired for my 40th birthday party), Southern Sandwich Company (already tried and rated), Eat Curbside and Senor Sisig. I went for the later of the list (yes both).

Senor Sisig - This was what I would describe as my secondary truck for the day. I have wanted to try this for quite some time and finally fortune smiled on me and I was at the right place at the right time. Lots of interesting things like sisig and silog on the menu that I will want to try. Since it wasn't my primary lunch of the day I got a pork sisig taco. I am not sure if I have let it be known that I kind of think that fusion tacos are a bit of a cop out but I get it. I think of all things sisig is something that really lends itself to tacos (or burritos, or nachos for that matter) so this works. For those that don't know or care sisig is essentially cooked meat in a Filipino style. The taco was good, meat tender and delicious. I was offered spicy or regular and opted for the spicy one as I was told it just had chopped jalapenos on it. That being said it was crazy spicy but again, still yummy! Definitely a truck that I will go back to!

Eat Curbside - For my primary lunch I decided to try Eat Curbside mostly because of a rec from my sister (a burgeoning food truck stalker). She stated that their fries were amazing. 4 sandwiches on the menu - grilled cheese, lamb, kimchi hot dog, and ahi sliders. I opted for the ahi sliders with fries (based on the rec from the person behind the window). The sliders were good, asian flavors and yummy slaw. The fries were as my sister described, WOW. Salty wedge fries. Crispy and yummy. This is a truck I hope to stumble onto more and more. Really well done simple foods!

No comments: