Thursday, June 09, 2011

This Week in Food Trucks

So this week I was able to go to 3 different trucks (potentially 4 if there are any in the area tomorrow).

Tuesday: Lil Green Cyclo (@lilgreencyclo on twitter). Vietnamese food and definitely a truck I was interested in trying. They sometimes come to Edgewood Eats (local Monday food truck gathering in Palo Alto) and seem to come once a week to Brisbane which is just north of my work. I love me some Vietnamese food thus my excitement. So here's what I ordered: chicken bahn mi (sandwich), sweet potato tater tots, and salted lemonade. My review is pretty short and pretty sweet: mediocre. The tater tots were good but not great (came with a 'spicy mango ketchup' that tasted like heinz). The bahn mi was bready and not that much filling. Lastly, the salted lemonade oh the lemonade. I felt like Kurtz from Apocalypse Now: "The HOOOORRRROR." Both me and the person I was lunching with ordered it, took one sip and threw it away. Maybe it is an acquired taste but it was TERRIBLE. Wow it was bad. The noodle/meat dish my friend got was good but this is certainly not a truck I am going to run out to try again.

Wednesday: IZ IT Fresh Grill (@IZITfreshgrill on Twitter) Another truck I was excited to try and glad I did. Hawaiian food plain and simple and that's a good thing. I got a combo which was a piece of fried chicken, a kicker (taco) and a SPAM musubi (basically a SPAM sushi type dish). The chicken was crispy and ultra moist, not a TON of flavor but that was mitigated by some siracha. The taco (aka a kicker) was good but not great. I have found that trying to put 'ethnic' food in a taco can be pretty hit or miss and this was somewhere in the middle. The SPAM musubi was unique and really good actually. This is definitely a truck I'd drive out of my way (10+ miles) to go visit again, and again.

Thursday: The Rib Whip (@TheRibWhip on Twitter). What? Again? Yes! More like YES! Today I got the ribs (1/3 rack=4 decent sized ribs). Yum. Came off the bone clean and well sauced. Good smoke ring. My friend got the spinach salad with pulled pork and he seemed satisfied with it. Today for sides I got Mac n' Cheese and baked beans. The MnC was really good, creamy which I normally don't like but this had some nice flavor. The beans were good (I actually prefer my baked bbq baked beans). This is still my favorite truck and becoming a bit of an obsession. Talked with the guy that runs the truck today which was great, kind of personalizes it a bit. Love that they respond to tweet questions about the menu. Also LOVE that they use Square cardcase. Something nerdy but nice to be able to pay without doing much of anything. Kudos to the truck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

IZ IT??? Much love and glad you enjoyed the food!