Wednesday, June 22, 2011

This Week in Food Trucks

So far this week I have gotten to try 2 new trucks and went back to a 2 relative favorites for desserts. Below are the evaluations in greater detail than you will see in the rankings.

First on the list is the 51st State Truck. Basically new American food served from a truck. Some co-workers were over from England and Switzerland and knew of my obsession and wanted to take a field trip with me to a truck. We chose this one and everyone got the same thing as me. On the menu are some intriguing things including a Brunswick Stew that I tasted and wow was it yummy. But I got a patty melt with a grilled portabella mushroom AND bacon on rye (they call it The Executive). Let me just say yum. Served with a spicy brown mustard. Something that I really love is somethingrelatively simple that is executed with precision (almost transcendent). So this is another truck that I just have fallen in love with. I really wish they had their mini banana cream pie but something happened with their oven. Something to look forward to for my next trip (or 3).

Second was enjoyed this evening at the Menlo Park street fair: Mama's Empanadas. This was a truck on the list of ones I really wanted to try. Yet again I get to a truck and the thing I want to try has run out. I wanted a spicy beef empanada but settled on a beef one. Hot, yummy, the meat was a smidge dry but still super yummy. I also ordered a vegetable one just for contrast. The vegetable one was less impressive but the wife enjoyed it a bit. Like this truck but don't love it.

The 2 that I tried again were SF Whisk and Butterscotch on the Go. At SF Whisk I had the strawberry panna cotta again and it was good, just good especially in comparison to what I ate tonight. Butterscotch on the Go is just mind blowingly good. The butterscotch pudding is really one of the best things on earth. Creamy, rich, salty chocolate almond brittle on top. Just really amazing again. I have also now tried several other desserts and if ever you encounter this truck get something and I am reasonably sure it will be great (they have butterscotch sugar cookies which are quite good as well).

So that's that. Think I might head over to my fave truck for lunch tomorrow with some co-workers. This obsession is just enriching my life and some colleagues from foreign lands as well.

No comments: