Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Slingbox, Surgery, Scrubs...

Blog Update:
Actually busy thus the lack of blogs. I appreciate Dan and Lee expressing concern and interest in when the next ‘episode’ of this blog would appear. Well here we go, prepare to be bored silly.

Baseball:
Could the Angels have done much less in an effort to win the series they were playing in? Team batting average: .175, Team OBP: .200, and only 11 runs. The Angels allowed the White Sox to get 4, count them 4, consecutive complete games. It was just a dreadful series, very frustrating to watch as an Angels fan. The number of blown umpire calls that went agains them was also very hard to overcome. There is always next year. The hot stove league is one of my favorite times of year. It will be interesting to see what Arte can pull out of his hat.

In the other series it is getting interesting. The last time a team hit a homer in game 5, while trailing (later than the 8th inning), was the miserable Boston Red Sox in 1986. So looking forward the Cards will win the series v. the Astros and then go on to lose the World Series in dramatic fashion. Let them play, let them play… So Bill Simmons made a reference I had been thinking about for days. Day late dollar short.

Medical Information:
So I go under the knife tomorrow morning to get more of the lesion excised. It should be good times for all. The dermatologist feels as if it will only take 30 minutes but I am SO not looking forward to this. Stay tuned.

Slingbox!!!!!:
I am extra stoked about this device, still. I figured out how to use it from behind a firewall (not saying where I would need this), and am getting really good quality now that I updated my internet service provider. Got Comcast to install the cable and WOW it is fast. I am intrigued to see what kind of stuff I can view while in Monterey this upcoming weekend. Again I preach the good things about this device to all who will hear it. Are you guys at Slingmedia reading this? I am your newest and biggest fan. I am still trying to figure out how many 1st degree (friends of mine) or 2nd degree (friends of friends) TiVos I have sold. My guess is that I have gotten about 20 people to buy one. I’m just saying is all… I am going to do a blog of the appliances in my home in order of importance.

Poker:
So the WSOP is on ESPN and they are in the main event. Last week’s episode had 2 of the most amazing early hands I have ever seen. First, Jennifer Harman had Queens full and lost to a guy that sucked out a straight flush on runner runner, BRUTAL. Then Amid Farhidi has AT v. Kate Hudson’s brother who had TT. Flop comes AAT giving Farhidi the nuts. Well Hudson’s brother goes all in and loses on the first hand of the tournament.

TV:
I like TV. The Entertainment Weekly issue that notes the 5 shows to be watching just came out. The shows are:
  1. Everybody Hates Chris – been watching this since the outset and it is really quite good. Takes place in 1982 but doesn’t use the time as a real gimmick. Drucker gives it an A.
  2. My Name is Earl – Jason Lee is hilarious. The show is quite offbeat. Drucker gives this a B+, it needs to find legs.
  3. Prison Break – gritty, dark, well shot, reasonably well acted. I like it but find it a bit disappointing based on my previous love of the show Oz which was far more realistic. Drucker gives this a B.
  4. Supernatural – very X-filesish. Just watched one episode and liked it but not quite sold on it. Drucker gives it a C/C+.
  5. How I Met Your Mother – funny and getting funnier. The timing is improving with each episode, and Doogie as a womanizer is funny stuff. Drucker gives it an A-.
Other shows of note:
  • I am not watching Alias anymore. Just got bored of it.
  • The Office is getting funnier and funnier. I pray that they don’t cancel it.
  • Speaking of canceling I am praying that Arrested Development can stick around for a few more weeks, I fear that it is on it’s last legs. Stupid people in middle America not understanding witty comedy.
  • Scrubs is back soon!

2 comments:

Dan Ciruli said...

So much to say. First, didn't the Angels knock one pitcher out after 8 1/3 innings? I think so. It was only three consecutive complete games.

Glad to hear you're dating Slingmedia now.

Next: the poker is all messed up. The guy didn't hit runner-runner for the straight flush; he just hit the river. And it wasn't Amir Vahidi, it was Sam Farha. All-in-all, some low quality poker reporting.

Next: clarifcation, please. Are those the new shows to be watching, or the shows to be watching in general?

Finally: I am still enjoying some pretty ridiculously good chocolate chip cookies. Thanks.

Lee Schneider said...

Dan - the White Sox lost game 1, in which they went to the bullpen with one out in the ninth inning. Then they won four in a row, all complete games. For the series, their starters pitched 44 1/3 out of 45 total innings. I love chat.druckspot.blogspot.com cause I can read it on my computer.